The lack of immigration reform has created a system of immigration detention that is dysfunctional in many ways. Poor conditions and inhumane treatment has caused activists to take notice and take action. In this week’s edition of the Friday Top Picks, I’d like to highlight a post by Maria Betances Koegle that puts the spotlight on a handful of “DREAMers.”
- A post from Maria Betances Koegle of America’s Voice gets personal as, “DREAMers Share Their ‘Dream’ to One Day ‘ENLIST’ in the Armed Forces.”
- Jennifer Chan of the National Immigrant Justice Center expresses the importance of “Honoring the Service and Sacrifice of Immigrants.”
- Detention Watch Network features guest blogger Tory Johnson who writes, “¡No Estoy Sola! #EndtheQuota Action in Washington, DC.”
- “As Mexican and Central American Credible Fear Claims Rise Dramatically, Grants of Asylum Don’t,” Immigration Impact’s Amy Grenier discusses the situation.
- Stephen Manning of American Immigration Lawyers Association describes, “The Sorry State of Our Detention System.”
Please email me or comment if you have any thoughts about this week’s Top Picks. Thank you for taking the time to visit this blog, and I look forward to sharing the best online commentary on immigration and refugee issues.