We are thrilled to share the incredible and overwhelming response to our recent Christmas gift drive for children held in the Karnes family detention facility. We hoped for a generous reaction, but were amazed at the support we received. Because of the quick response of people like you, the harshness and isolation experienced by families in immigration detention will be softened for just a moment and replaced with a child’s smile on Christmas and hope for the New Year to come.
- Learn more: Read and share LIRS’s backgrounder on family detention and our recent report co-authored with the Women’s Refugee Commission, “Locking Up Family Values, Again: The Continued Failure of Immigrant Family Detention”.
- Contact your elected representatives: Use LIRS’s Action Center to send a message to your Members of Congress, urging them to end family detention. You can also call their offices through the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121.
- Write a letter: Use this sample letter to describe the gift drive and the devastating impact of family detention in a letter to the editor of your local newspaper- especially since members of Congress will be home soon and reading those same newspapers!
- Support a refugee family: Choose a gift from LIRS’s Rebuilding Hope Gift Catalog. Each gift has been carefully selected to make a real difference in the life of a refugee, such as a bus pass or a baby crib. These items are essential for rebuilding lives in a new land.
- Engage your community: Use LIRS’s Holiday Season for Immigrant Justice Toolkit to find ways to stay involved in your community.
Photo credit: Rosemarie Doucette